4/20/14

MARX TOYS for Buckaroos and Buckarettes


When I was around 5 or 6 I remember the boy across the street had the Roy Rogers Chuck Wagon made by the Louis Marx Company. I loved that chuck wagon. I coveted that chuck wagon. I STILL want that chuck wagon.

The set came with all sorts of accessories, including all the pots and pans that were kept in the back of the wagon. You can see one here on ebay (the link of course will not work once the item is sold). Marx made a lot of toys I either wanted or in some cases had.
Among the most enduring Marx creations were a long series of boxed "playsets" throughout the 1950s and 1960s based on television shows and historical events. These include "Walt Disney's Davy Crockett At The Alamo", "Gunsmoke", "Wagon Train", "Battle Of The Blue and Grey", "The Revolutionary War", "Tales Of Wells Fargo", "The Untouchables", "Robin Hood", "The Battle Of The Little Big Horn", "Arctic Explorer", "Ben Hur", "Fort Apache", "Johnny Tremain", and many others.

Playsets included highly detailed plastic figures and accessories, many with some of the toy world's finest tin lithography. A Marx playset box was invariably bursting with contents, yet very few were ever priced above the average of $4–$7. Greatly expanded sets, such as "Giant Ben Hur" sold for $10 to $12 in the early 1960s. This pricing formula adhered to the Marx policy of "more for less" and made the entire series attainable to most customers for many years. Original sets are highly prized by baby boomer collectors to this day. Collector's books titled "Boy Toys" and "The Big Toy Box At Sears" feature the original advertisements for many of these sets and are well worth having as a visual reference. (SOURCE: Wikipedia)
This little fella with his fort, wagons, cowboys, and indians was in seventh heaven and obviously one of his parents wanted to capture what he'd created. He too is in my book Tattered and Lost: Buckaroos and Buckarettes.

4 comments:

  1. He's circling the wagons and calling for the cavalry!
    I remember these sets. Somehow the play characters always got mixed up so gladiators and indians would do battle against cavemen and union soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I never had any of the army men. I think I did have a few cowboys and indians. Years ago I was so excited when I found a green Army man in the dirt up in the Sierra's. My only Army man.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen a play fort before! That's cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my child, you are so young. To have missed the reign of the forts is a tragedy.

      Delete